Energy Saving Tips
Looking for ways to save money?
Simple changes in your day-to-day life can help you save energy and money!
- Turn kitchen and bath fans off within 20 minutes to keep from drawing heated/cooled air from the house.
- Install ceiling fans.
- Apply sun-control film to south and west facing windows.
- Replace current system with an energy efficient system.
- Install an attic fan.
- Set thermostat fan to “on” in the summer to circulate cool air even when the unit is not running.
- Keep heating/cooling unit free of debris to allow air circulation.
- Provide shade for your exterior heating/cooling unit.
- Set thermostat to 82 in summer and 62 in winter when you will be gone for a few hours.
- Insulate your hot water heater.
- Insulate ducts in unheated areas.
- Schedule preventative maintenance twice a year to keep your system in top working order.
- Close fireplace damper to keep heated/cooled air from being drawn up the chimney.
- Install programmable thermostats.
- Check to see that ceiling and walls have sufficient insulation.
- Install storm windows to reduce heat loss by 25-50%.
- Change air filters at least once a month.
- Close or open blinds to adjust the amount of sunlight entering the room.
- Check around doors and windows for gaps where air can enter/escape.
- Plant trees or shrubs to block summer sun.
- Make sure that return air vents are not blocked.
- Do not set your thermostat higher or lower than the desired temperature.
- Install awnings over south and west facing windows and doors.
- Keep all interior doors open so air can circulate.